Monday, March 30, 2009

this past weekend...

man oh man

this was an amazing weekend!!

This past week of practice wasnt to bad heading into this past weekend. I did one of my favorite workouts cant really share Chris's secrets but i like it alot it helps my 400 alot!! So Im heading into the weekend excited about my first 400 of the 2009 outdoor season. As usual we have our friday game nite!! But before we had it Mandy and I had to go to the doc becasue she needed an MRI. (Everything is fine!! thank God!) So we have the game nite around 830 and were playing Mario Kart and a few of the other guys played wii tennis as a couple others waited to play HALO!! So they finish playing tennis and its time for HALO. Of course I dominate haha the guys need to step their game up lol. But we play until 12 then the guys leave.

The next day I wake up pumped and ready to go! I take a shower and eat breakfast. Then I head to the track. I walk to the track to clear my head, focus, and take in the weather. The first race for me was 4x1 and oh my was it fun! Our first leg Anthony Chandler gets off to a good start and he is running well. NExt, I get the baton. I take off and Im rolling. I hand off the baton to Chase Vancura and the lead gets bigger. Chase hands it to Dayo Igeleke and he blows it out the water!!!! We win by alot and run 41.09 and thats faster than the conference winning team along with anytime we ran last year. So things are looking real good. Next was the 400. Oh yeah im ready to go. Im in the blocks and the gun goes off. I get out hard and make up the stagger on everyone except CJ Carroll (a fellow teammate who I later catch) and Im on the back stretch relaxing i go into the final turn and I turn it on! Im feeling good and rolling but Im thinking that its not fast enough and that Ill run a 46.3 or 4. I cross the line and wait for the time.
45.83!!!!! I was YYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! Its something that I was talking about but never really thought would happen until it did. I am utterly shocked, surprised, and happy. lol My next race was the 4x4. I wanted to have the A team run together and put in a good time. But my coach thought otherwise. He made me run third leg of the unofficial A team and put the next 2 fastest 400 runners on the B team as the 1 and 2 legs. (Stacking it against me! lol). But he put two 800 runners as the 3rd and 4th leg of the b team and one as the anchor for the A team. So im running against an 800 with honestly an 100 meter lead. I hit the back stretch and Kyle Neyer (800 runner) was finishing the back stretch and heading into the curve. I was shoot I wont catch this guy...
Then I thought to myself if I'm going to catch him I have to pick it up and go. So I get to the 250 meter mark and turn it on! Im closing in on him around the curve and every step I was closing in on him. THen I past him with like 25-30 meters left in the race!!! I split 45.1 and put the team in the lead. I hand it off to Jon McClelland (800 runner) and he is able to hold off Alex Ramsey running a 49.8 to seal the victory!!! Man it was crazy!!!! Once Chris gives me the videos I'll post them on youtube and you can check them out there!

Overall the meet was another great on for the team. One of our captains Troy Lammers was able to compete after missing a whole year with a hamstring injury and he ran well! A 53.1 and very close to the regional mark! We had Troy Cooper qualify for regionals in the shot with a 55 foot heave! Freshman Terrence Sommerville qualified for regionals in the 110 hurdles with a time of 14.14, Shane Shockey in the pole vault with 16'6'' jump and Brandon Fitch in the high jump. Other notable marks came form our talented distance group. With freshman Michael Rutherford running a 1:49:44 800, adn 8 fellow 800 runners running under 2:00 minutes. Eric Finan, Kyle Dragan, and Brian Berling running the 1500, 800 double. Each running 3:54-1:55, 3:57-1:57. and 3:59-2:00 respectively.

Once again we had a great meet as a team but we have to continue to build upon our success to achieve what we set out to do at the end of last year.

"ONE TEAM ONE GOAL"

"London 2012 God be my Guide"

To Succeed, You need to find something to hold on to, something to inspire you
-Tony Dorsett

No comments:

Post a Comment